Military Studies Program
Strategic and Defence Studies Centre – Australian Command and Staff College
The Australian National University (ANU) has partnered with the Australian Command and Staff College (ACSC) to provide a world leading mid-career military qualification for the Australian Defence Force.
The ANU Military Studies Program delivered at ACSC is a fully integrated course developed by an academic team from the University's Strategic and Defence Studies Centre and the ACSC military teaching staff.
It will provide an innovative education model based upon a military-university partnership in order to meet the challenges and objectives of Australia's Defence Force and to develop its future leaders.
The majority of students will enrol in the ANU Masters in Military Studies or the ANU Graduate Diploma in Military Studies. The integrated nature of the course means that students must obtain at least an ANU Graduate Diploma in Military Studies to pass the Australian Command and Staff Course-Joint. This demonstrates the determination of both ANU and ACSC to deliver a fully amalgamated course. For high achieving officers, this course offers the opportunity to advance to a Master of Arts through the completion of a 15,000 word sub-thesis. A Graduate Certificate in Military Studies is available to those students who may be required to leave the course early, for example to an overseas posting.
As part of the integrated course, ANU will deliver the following courses:
- Australia's Strategic Policy and Environment I & II
- Development of the Operational Art
- Expeditionary Operations
- Contemporary Conflicts and Operations
- The Australian Defence Organisation.
As well as educating Australia's future military leaders, the ACSC will also invite exchange officers from foreign armed forces, as well as a small number of public servants, to benefit from the learning and development opportunities offered by the new ANU Military Studies program.
The key highlights of this course include:
- Fully integrated design and delivery of a course to meet both the vocational and academic requirements of mid-career officers created specifically for the ADF.
- A course delivered by foremost Australian and international academics, military personnel and public servants to educate Australia's future military leaders.
- ACSC's students to be enrolled as regular ANU students gaining an ANU delivered and accredited postgraduate degree.
- The provision of ANU faculty and support staff to be based at the ACSC Weston Creek campus, including a Director of Studies, to ensure that the educational opportunity for students at ACSC is of the same high standard as that delivered at the ANU main campus.